Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:24:35 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Secretary ACS DCHAS <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at

us_la: I-10 eastbound remains closed at Rayne exit 
DUSON, LA (KPLC) - State Police say I-10 eastbound remains closed this afternoon at the Rayne exit. Earlier this morning, an 18-wheeler carrying a hazardous material overturned on I-10 near Duson.

Eastbound traffic on I-10 continues to be diverted at Rayne onto LA 35 south, U.S. 90 east, then LA 95 north to I-10, where traffic is allowed back onto Interstate 10.

Troopers say it is still unknown when the clean-up will be complete and the interstate reopened.

Crews continue to clear the scene. Troopers say the leaking corrosive chemical is ethyleneamine. The State Police HAZMAT Team is on the scene. A firm from Port Allen has been working to transfer the hazardous material to another tanker.

us_il: Semi flips on Eisenhower, spills non-dangerous pool cleaning pellets
A hazmat-trained officer was on the scene Tuesday morning of an overturned semitrailer that spilled gallons of pool cleaning pellets onto the shoulder of the Eisenhower Expressyway near west suburban Addison.

Fire and rescue crews were also on the scene with the hazmat-trained officer, which Illinois State Police Elgin District Trooper Darren Love said is standard for accidents involving commercial vehicles.

While technically a hazardous material, the pellets are not considered dangerous in their solid firm, the trooper said.

A semitrailer carrying unidentified materials flipped onto its side about 5:35 a.m. on the Eisenhower (I-290) near the South Wood Dale Road underpass, Love said.

The semitrailer was carrying pool cleaning chemical pellets in 5-gallon drums, according to Love.

us_il: Potential hazmat situation averted
A hazardous materials leak in Wilmette last week flowed into the sewer system and threatened to pollute the area's water supply.

About 75 gallons of diesel fuel spilled in front of a home at 7:24 a.m. May 12 on the 200 block of 15th Street.

The Wilmette Fire Department responded to the leak and, along with a private contractor, cleaned the site over a five-hour span, according to Fire Chief James Dominik.

"The truck was dropping off materials at a home that was being built at 225 15th St.," Dominik said. "The truck was pulling out and there was a fence post ... on the ground. As it ran over it, it pierced the diesel tank."

His team estimated that 25 to 30 gallons of fuel got into the sewer system.

"There's a risk of it possibly igniting, which is more difficult with diesel fuel, but it's more about the damage to the water in the water system," Dominik said.

us_il: Unknown chemical substance dumped into Fox River 
St. Charles, IL =E2=80=94An unknown chemical substance was dumped into the Fox River in South Elgin on Saturday evening.

At 5:27 p.m. on May 15, the South Elgin Police Department responded with the South Elgin Fire Protection District to a creek near the 1100 block of North LaFox Street for a report of white foam floating into the Fox River.

During investigation, officers located persons from a business in the 600 block of Sundown Road pouring an unknown substance into the sewer system. The two subjects were ordered to cease their activities and were transported to the South Elgin Police Department for questioning.

The South Elgin Fire Protection district took necessary steps to stop any further flow of the substance into the river.

us_ma: Chlorine Leak Shuts Down Beacon Street Near Boston College 

BRIGHTON (WBZ) =E2=80=95 The truck belongs to Airgas East out of Salem, New Hampshire -- a company that specializes in chemical transport.
A chlorine leak shut down part of Beacon Street located behind Boston College Tuesday afternoon, and forced the evacuation of two college buildings. 
According to the Boston Fire Department, a truck carrying a cylinder of the chlorine gas was pulled over on Beacon Street when the leak was reported.
The truck belongs to Airgas East out of Salem, New Hampshire =E2=80=93 a company that specializes in chemical transport.
Boston Fire officials said the driver of the 24-foot Airgas company box truck had just delivered 10, 150-pound tanks of chlorine for water purification in Watertown. 
He was making deliveries of other gases on the Boston College campus when he opened the door and smelled an odor.
Following procedure, a spokesperson with Airgas told WBZ the driver immediately closed the back of the truck and reported the leak.

us_ma transportation leak chlorine response
Report: Water, foam caused explosion that killed St. Anna firefighter | | Fond du Lac Reporter
ST. ANNA =E2=80=94 The Dec. 29 explosion that killed St. Anna firefighter Steven Koeser and injured eight others occurred when firefighters directed streams of water and suppressant foam onto a burning trash bin.

The state Department of Justice Fire Marshal=E2=80=99s Office and the Calumet County Sheriff=E2=80=99s Department said Tuesday that the trash bin contained aluminum alloy shavings and 55-gallon steel barrels of aluminum oxide dross, or slag.

The origin of the fire in the open-top trash bin at Bremer Manufacturing Co., a Town of New Holstein foundry that makes aluminum sand castings, was found to be undetermined...

Thome told investigators he saw an 18-inch "cherry red=" hotspot at the base of the trash bin. Using a ladder to look inside the bin, he noticed one barrel that appeared to be very hot and saw sparks coming from aluminum shavings and other materials that were burning.

canada: Chemical flash fire in Edmonton lab injures employee
EDMONTON =E2=80=94 A flash chemical fire at an southeast Edmonton laboratory put one man in hospital with burns Tuesday.

A Maxxam Analytics Petroleum Technology Centre employee was transferring a solvent called toluene at about 2:30 p.m., when the chemical caught fire, burning his face.

Fire crews arrived at lab, near 67th Avenue and 50th Street, to find that the building=E2=80=99s sprinkler system had put the fire out.

The injured Maxxam Analytics employee was described by the lab=E2=80=99s general manager as a longtime employee in his 30s.

The man was treated at the scene by paramedics before he was driven to hospital.

us_pa: Chemical scare: 'Complete lockdown' snarls Mount Pocono
An emergency response to two suspected containers of hazardous materials scrambled the rush hour for returning New York City bus commuters, forced the evacuation of some Mount Pocono buildings and paralyzed businesses Monday afternoon.

Police and emergency personnel evacuated the businesses on Fork Street, as well as those on the area of Route 611 between both ends of the Fork Street half-loop following the discovery of two containers thought at first to contain sodium hydroxide. Someone had found the five-gallon plastic containers, with a chemical that possibly had spilled, in the parking lot between the Mount Pocono Professional Center office building and the eye doctor's office on Fork Street.

"It looks like someone didn't know what to do with these two containers and illegally left them in this parking lot sometime over the weekend," said Deputy Director Bruce Henry of the Monroe County Emergency Management Agency.

us_nj: HazMat teams handle incident in Toms River 
TOMS RIVER =E2=80=94 After employees saw a cloud of smoke coming from a container at the Toms River Township Recycling Convenience Center, officials from different departments worked together to handle a hazardous materials incident.

According to Sam Seaman, district chief for Toms River Fire District 1, at 8:30 a.m. Monday the Silverton Fire Company was dispatched to a possible HazMat incident at the Church Road location because a cloud of grayish-white smoke was coming from one of the containers of miscellaneous trash in the yard.
At 9:50 a.m., the first two-man team entered the "hot zone," in complete protective equipment and began pulling trash out of the container. Seaman said they found several bottles of old pool chemicals, and one of the plastic bottles was cracked. The cracked container was isolated from the other bottles of chemicals and the team left the area about 10:15 a.m. The leaking bottles were identified as pH+, a pool chemical.
us_nj waste home pool_chemicals resp

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.