Nickel in certain forms is carcinogenic, but I can’t see how the nickel cladding could get hot enough to fume off. Can you see visible corrosion or rub off visible nickel oxide?
Some people are allergic to nickel – usually it’s mild. Unless they are in close contact with it, like touching it frequently, it shouldn’t occur – unless the cladding is oxidizing, undergoing some other reaction, or fuming off, all of which seems unlikely.
Michael J. Wright
Director of Health, Safety and Environment
5 Gateway Center
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Work (412) 562-2580
Cell (412) 370-0105
Fax (412) 562-2584
Visit us on the web at www.usw.org
I received a question this afternoon about an autoclave chamber that has been deemed “decaying and hazardous.”
The individual was told that the nickel plating on the chamber is corroding and that users are at risk of experiencing nickel toxicity. The solution = buy a new autoclave, which the service person also sells.
I can’t find anything to back this claim up (besides discussions re: teapots).
I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post