From: ACTSNYC**At_Symbol_Here**CS.COM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Autoclave corroding and nickel toxicity
Date: January 30, 2012 9:51:45 PM EST
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <35803.495b491f.3c58b141**At_Symbol_Here**>

An estimated 14% of people are allergic to nickel to some degree.  It was closer to 10% before the piercing craze took hold.  Nickel's ability to sensitize and its carcinogenicity are reasons why the European Union has a regulation called the Nickel Directive that prohibits metal items such as jewelry, glasses frames and watch bands, from leaching even tiny amounts of nickel.  But in US colleges, the casting of nickel silver alloy is common in art and jewelry studios.


In a message dated 1/30/2012 8:48:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, mwright**At_Symbol_Here**USW.ORG writes:

Nickel in certain forms is carcinogenic, but I can't see how the nickel cladding could get hot enough to fume off. Can you see visible corrosion or rub off visible nickel oxide?

Some people are allergic to nickel - usually it's mild. Unless they are in close contact with it, like touching it frequently, it shouldn't occur - unless the cladding is oxidizing, undergoing some other reaction, or fuming off, all of which seems unlikely.

Michael J. Wright

Director of Health, Safety and Environment

United Steelworkers

5 Gateway Center

Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Work (412) 562-2580

Cell     (412) 370-0105

Fax     (412) 562-2584


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.