From: Edward Movitz <movitz**At_Symbol_Here**OLEMISS.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Two Questions
Date: April 13, 2012 9:17:06 PM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <1902256265.888461.1334360383549.JavaMail.root**At_Symbol_Here**>

Is it a State or government run (public) school? If it is, then there may be no enforceable regulations.






Under federal regulations, a government employee, moving government owned hazardous materials, from one government facility to another government facility, in government vehicles - is not in commerce and generally not covered by DOT regulations. Your state may have other rules, and your mileage may vary...



Hope this helps.



Edward M. Movitz   Health & Safety Officer / FSO
Department of Health and Safety
The University of Mississippi
Post Office Box 1848  University, MS  38677-1848
(662)915-5433 Phone (662)915-5480 Fax

Please consider the environment before printing this Email


Confidentiality Note:  The information contained in this Email and/or document(s) attached is for the exclusive use of the individual named above and may contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information. This communication may also contain data subject to U.S. export laws, not releasable to Foreign Persons unless authorized by 22 CFR 120-130 or 15.CFR 730-774. If so, that data subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulation cannot be disseminated, distributed or copied to foreign nationals, residing in the U.S. or abroad, absent the express prior approval of the U..S. Department of State. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this Email or its contents in any way. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the e-mail message and any physical copies made of the communication.

From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED..CORNELL.EDU] on behalf of drsamples**At_Symbol_Here**COMCAST.NET [drsamples**At_Symbol_Here**COMCAST.NET]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Two Questions

I have a related question to the chemical transport question. A new science building at a rural college in California is now being finished, so they will have to pack and transport all of the chemicals from the old building to the new building. These would be chemicals that are typical for general first-year inorganic chemistry. Are the faculty and lab tech allowed to do the packing and moving of chemicals themselves or are they required to hire outside specialists? Are there any rules or prudent guidelines to follow in moving and supervising the move?

Thank you,

Marjorie Samples
Los Rios College District

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.