From: Beth Brubaker <ebrubaker**At_Symbol_Here**MURRAYSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Two Questions
Date: April 16, 2012 11:05:45 AM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <1902256265.888461.1334360383549.JavaMail.root**At_Symbol_Here**>

I won't attempt to comment on what is allowed. We moved into a new building in 2009. One of the GOOD decisions we made was to contract with a waste disposal firm to move our chemicals. We could have done this job, given enough time and resources. These guys were in and out in no time. There was no doubt that they knew the chemical compatibilities and were in compliance with all applicable regulations. It was a headache we didn't have to deal with, at a time when there were plenty of other things to be done. I suspect that we were moving more chemicals than you are - at least in terms of diversity. We're a smallish regional university, and have the full range of teaching and research labs. However, you will still have plenty of hazardous materials involved in your move. It just takes breaking one bottle of XYZ-. You should have a firm available to do a lab pack in your area, and perhaps you could negotiate a good cost to include disposal of the things you DON'T want to move at the same time. This cost should come out of the building/construction budget.


My answer might change if the move is REALLY close and you could accomplish this safely with a cart in an hour - no vehicles, no streets to cross, no students around. We had to cross a street, which adds all sorts of complexity to the legal issues.


I'd be happy to give you more details if you're interested.


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of drsamples**At_Symbol_Here**COMCAST.NET
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Two Questions


I have a related question to the chemical transport question. A new science building at a rural college in California is now being finished, so they will have to pack and transport all of the chemicals from the old building to the new building. These would be chemicals that are typical for general first-year inorganic chemistry. Are the faculty and lab tech allowed to do the packing and moving of chemicals themselves or are they required to hire outside specialists? Are there any rules or prudent guidelines to follow in moving and supervising the move?


Thank you,


Marjorie Samples

Los Rios College District

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.