Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Compensation and liability for "part-time" CHO
Date: April 28, 2012 10:51:15 AM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <CBC1784D.49D4%mgarciarios**At_Symbol_Here**>

Yes, contact a Mass attorney regarding your liability exposure; it will depend in part on the terms of your contract with your employer. The ACS has excellent and inexpensive Professional Liability Insurance. The fact that you raise the exposure question suggests that you should consider the protection offered by this insurance.





The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.


ACSafety has a new address:



PO Box 152329


011(619) 990-4908 (phone, 24/7)


We no longer support FAX.


Please contact me before sending any packages or courier delivery. The address for those items is:

5340 Caminito Cachorro

San Diego CA 92105


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of Garcia-Rios Mario
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 7:35 AM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Compensation and liability for "part-time" CHO


Good Morning Everyone,

I have a couple of questions. For the past year I have served as the "De facto", or perhaps more appropriately, "Interim"chemical hygiene officer at a small Liberal Arts college in Newton MA. I put together a CHP, that has been minimally implemented. For my services as CHO I receive a stipend of $1500 per year, with no course load reduction (I am an Associate Professor with a 4/4 load). My questions are: 1) Is the compensation fair?; 2)What is my liability, if any, or should I consult a Massachusetts attorney with this question?

Thanks for any feedback and best regards,




Mario G. Garc=EDa-R=EDos, Ph. D.

Associate Professor of Biology and Chemistry

Mount Ida College

777 Dedham St.

Newton, MA 02459

Ph. 617-928-4061

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.