Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:15:58 -0700
Reply-To: Barry Rutledge <rutledge**At_Symbol_Here**PROTECHECS.COM>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Barry Rutledge <rutledge**At_Symbol_Here**PROTECHECS.COM>
Subject: electrical/guarding equipment safety


This e-mail was forwarded to me for assistance.  So I will give it a
shot. The first question you need to ask before you go any further is,
"Will it make any difference to the Arts staff (will they do what you
say) and do you want it legal or just CYA?"  As far as evaluating it,
you can do most of it yourself.


My first concern is the "Rube Goldbergesque" electrical thingies.  These
are almost NEVER legal contraptions so forbid them.  When looking at
these and other items to be moved you will want to see an FM or UL
approval label.  I bet you don't find one!  So to make it easy on
yourself make a policy that No FM, UL or similar approval label, it has
no place in your new or even old facility. 


Machine guarding should be easier but it is not.  The simple answer is
"No Guard, No Move".  This however will require you to do an assessment
on each piece of equipment and prove to the owner that a guard is


Electrical codes vary from place to place so this is not always easy
either.  If you have a competent electrician on staff, then ask them for
assistance.  They should know the local codes and be able to RED TAG
unsafe or code non-compliant equipment.  


Going forward, I would make policy that home-made items are forbidden on
your campus, period!  Fixing problems like this is much harder to do if
you don't make a policy to prevent it from occurring in the future. If
you don't, you will be fighting it forever.


I hope this helps, Good luck!


Barry Rutledge

Managing Partner

Protech ECS





Can you help them?

-----Original Message-----

From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 1:39 PM

To: DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU

Subject: electrical/guarding equipment safety


Dear group.


I'm on the planning team for a large new art building in Philly.  It
means moving a lot of equipment from the old building to the new
building--provided the equipment meets current electrical codes and OSHA
guarding rules.


The art metal/plastics laboratory that does jewelry and sculpture work
in particular has tons of machinery.  They have 50 year old equipment
for cyanide plating that they want to bring--a whole row of these.

There are dozens of other Rube Goldbergesque electrical thingies the
likes of which I've never seen.  

They have every kind of metal working machines from laser cutters to
mechanical shears.  There are metal lathes that range from tiny bench
models to 10 feet long.  There is an ancient pressurized caldron-like
reactor for making their 

own plastics from monomers!   And on and on.


WHERE oh, where do I find someone who knows enough about this stuff to 

evaluate it?   What kind of job or title would such a person have?   


Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A.,

industrial hygienist

Arts, Crafts & Theater Safety, Inc.

181 Thompson St., #23

New York NY 10012-2586     212/777-0062

Barry Rutledge

Managing Partner

Protech ECS



Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.