Safety Emporium for all your lab and safety needs
IUPAC - International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) is an international, non-governmental organization whose purpose is to address many global issues involving the chemical sciences. Their web site is www.iupac.org.
The primary goal of the IUPAC is fostering worldwide communications in the chemical sciences. To accomplish this task, it is imperative that chemists across all sectors use a common language. IUPAC is the recognized world authority on chemical nomenclature (system of naming), terminology, standardized methods for measurement, atomic weights and many other critically evaluated data.
IUPAC was formed in 1919 by chemists from industry and academia who recognized the need for international standardization in chemistry. The standardization of weights, measures, names and symbols is essential to the well being and continued success of the scientific enterprise and to the smooth development and growth of international trade and commerce.
IUPAC is an association of chemical societies that represent the chemists of 45 countries. Almost 1,000 chemists throughout the world are engaged on a voluntary basis in the scientific work of IUPAC.
IUPAC's focus includes:
- Nomenclature (naming) in inorganic and organic chemistry.
- Standardization of atomic weights.
- Standardization of physical constants.
- Maintaining tables of properties of matter.
- Establishing commissions for the review of work.
- Standardization of the formats of publications.
- Measures required to prevent repetition of publications.
This safety wall poster from Safety Emporium uses humor to reinforce the importance of proper chemical handling.
- "Quantities, Symbols, Units and Abbreviations in the Life Sciences: A Guide for Authors and Editors", Paperback, 152 pages, 1999. Estimated price $29.50. Info and/or order.
- "Nomenclature of Inorganic Chemistry : Recommendations 2005", Hardcover, 340 pages, 2005. Estimated price $165.00. Info and/or order.
- "Organic Nomenclature: A Programmed Introduction (6th Edition)", Paperback, 160 pages, 2008. Estimated price $42.03. Info and/or order.
- "Systematic Nomenclature of Organic Chemistry: A Directory to Comprehension and Application of its Basic Principles", Paperback, 228 pages, 2001. Estimated price $29.95. Info and/or order.
- "Systematic Nomenclature of Organic, Organometallic and Coordination Chemistry: Chemical-Abstracts Guidelines with IUPAC Recommendations and Many Trivial Names", Hardcover, 638 pages, January 2007. Estimated price $94.91. Info and/or order.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, May 5, 2010. This page is copyright 2000-2013 by ILPI. Unauthorized duplication or posting on other web sites is expressly prohibited. Send suggestions, comments, and new entry desires (include the URL if applicable) to us by email.
Disclaimer: The information contained herein is believed to be true and accurate, however ILPI makes no guarantees concerning the veracity of any statement. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. ILPI strongly encourages the reader to consult the appropriate local, state and federal agencies concerning the matters discussed herein.