Safety Emporium for all your lab and safety needs
ACGIH - American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, Inc.
- The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, Inc., ACGIH, is an organization open to all practitioners in industrial hygiene, occupational health, environmental
health, or safety. Their web site is http://www.acgih.org/.
Industrial hygiene deals with the protection of the health of those involved in industry. This classifies it as a form of preventative medicine.
Ensure OSHA compliance with books and training materials from Safety Emporium.
ACGIH publishes over 400 titles in occupational and environmental health and safety. They are most famous for their Threshold Limit Values publication which lists the TLV's® for over 700 chemical
substances and physical agents, as well as 50 Biological Exposure Indices (BEI's®) for selected chemicals.
There was considerable controversy concerning the regulatory implications of TLV's, and the ACGIH was sued by a manufacturer's association in December 2000. See the links below for more information.
- "2014 TLV's and BEI's:1607260727", Spiral Bound, 2014. Estimated price $119.95. Info and/or order .
- "2014 Guide to Occupational Exposure Values", Spiral Bound, 2014. Estimated price $136.93. Info and/or order.
- "Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene, Sixth Edition", Hardcover, 2012, 1,248 pages. Estimated price $144.72. Info and/or order .
- "Supervisors' Safety Manual, Tenth Edition", Hardcover, 2009, 628 pages. Estimated price $108.57. Info and/or order .
- "Occupational Safety and Health for Technologists, Engineers, and Managers (8th Edition)", Hardcover, 2014, 720 pages. Estimated price $108.37. Info and/or order .
- "Safety Culture: An Innovative Leadership Approach", Paperback, 2013, 384 pages. Estimated price $76.39. Info and/or order .
You will most commonly see the term ACGIH mentioned with respect to Threshold Limit Values. Such exposure values can provide terrific guidance as to the hazards and risks posed by a particular chemical. Always be sure to read scan the MSDS for such information before using that material for the first time...and then take the appropriate steps to keep your exposure as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA).
The ACGIH or any member thereof is a good resource when you have questions or concerns about occupational and environmental health.
When you work around chemicals be sure you have a safety station like this one from Safety Emporium.
See also: AIHA, ASSE, ASTM, Threshold Limit Values (TLV)
Additional definitions from Google and OneLook.
Entry last updated: Saturday, June 11, 2016. This page is copyright 2000-2016 by ILPI. Unauthorized duplication or posting on other web sites is expressly prohibited. Send suggestions, comments, and new entry desires (include the URL if applicable) to us by email.
Disclaimer: The information contained herein is believed to be true and accurate, however ILPI makes no guarantees concerning the veracity of any statement. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. ILPI strongly encourages the reader to consult the appropriate local, state and federal agencies concerning the matters discussed herein.